Sunday, May 22, 2011

Week 02: Stuffed French Toast

Menu for Breakfast for Dinner:
Stuffed French Toast
Sliced Strawberries or Strawberry OJ

Stuffed French Toast
8 slices bread, cubed
2 8oz. pkgs cream cheese
2 c. milk
12 eggs
1/3 c. maple syrup

Put half of cubed bread in a greased 9 X 13 pan. Cube the cream cheese and put on top of bread. Put remaining bread cubes on top of cream cheese. Beat eggs with syrup and milk. Pour over bread mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Uncover and bake at 350 for 45 mins. Serve with additional syrup.
Makes 8-10 servings. I will make it this week and half the recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but it sure sounds good to me!
Recipe from Ward Christmas Cookbook

Just a comment: I copied a bunch of recipes (including the above recipe) from cookbooks Roberta had while we were on vacation in Park City. I have been on a search for many years looking for the perfect, gooey, but firm chocolate chip cookie recipe. So, I copied one from a cookbook and asked Brent to make it up this am before Stake Conference. I heard a knock at the bathroom door while I was showering, "MOM! This recipe calls for 4 TBSPs of vanilla!!!" I hollared back, "I must have copied it wrong, try 4 tsps." Can you imagine 1/4 c of vanilla. Brent said it would be full of alcohol! We enjoyed them for dinner today baked in casselette dish, and served hot with ice cream. Now to bake them up and see if they are the ideal chocolate chip cook recipe. More to come!

I love fresh strawberries! But they are not always availabe (or affordable year round). So I have frozen bags of strawberries 0r you could buy a bag of frozen strawberries. I puree the frozen berries with some sugar. Add a Tbsp. or so of strawberry puree to your glass of OJ and stir. Such a great source of Vit C from two favorite fruits.

3 comments:

  1. Jocelyn says to double the vanilla in any given recipe. Can you imagine if she doubled 4 Tbsp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a bit much! Half a cup of Vanilla!!!

    Mom made this french toast when Daniel and I were visiting and we *loved* it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI, I am not sold on this recipe. Keep searching!

    ReplyDelete